Author, speaker, blogger, and patient expert (coming up on 39 years with diabetes) Riva Greenberg shared her laughter and light-hearted (but deeply serious) words of wisdom with Jeff and Heather. A few gems from the show:
1) In order to succeed with diabetes, we need two things:
a. Knowledge of “what” and “how-to” manage diabetes as a medical condition
b. Emotional awareness and resilience to get up every day and do your best
2) It’s essential to focus on what we, as patients, (and as people!) are doing well, and to move in the direction of what we want.
3) Living with diabetes has served to motivate Riva to manage her weight and to be active; and she helps others to find and nurture their own personal success stories.
4) We have choices in how we deal with our diabetes. There’s not dealing, of course, but in “dealing” – we can cope, and, we can flourish. Riva explores this with us.
5) For health care providers out there – please, please – notice that the person with diabetes in your office is a person, and acknowledge them as such! Check out Riva’s musings on Mindful medical practices.
Riva’s two books focus on each of the two main areas of success she identified:
The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes beautifully and specifically addresses many of the emotional concerns that diabetes (any type) can present and helps readers to energize more positive emotions. It’s also a great lovesong to our selves, regardless of our health challenges.